You will need the following ingredients:
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage, nitrate-free, cut into 1/4-inch slices (turkey sausage is a good option)
- 1/2 cup legal whole grain flour
- 5 Tbs ghee
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 Tb Bragg's Amino Acids
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, stems and leaves, coarsely chopped, plus chopped leaves for garnish
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 4 green onions, sliced, white and green parts
- 1/2 lb. small shrimp, peeled, de-veined and cooked
How to prepare:
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and remove.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned, then remove.
- Sprinkle the flour over the oil, add 2 tablespoons of ghee and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until brown, about 10 minutes. Congratulations, you have just made a roux.
- Let the roux cool.
- Return the Dutch oven to low heat and melt the remaining 3 tablespoons ghee.
- Add the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add Bragg's, salt and pepper, to taste and the parsley.
- Cook, while stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of beef stock, whisking constantly.
- Add the chicken and sausage.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and okra.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Just before serving add the green onions, shrimp and chopped parsley.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 145 minutes