- 3 thin cut (3/4-inch) New York strip steaks
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Metal skewers
- Preheat oven to 500° degrees F.
- Place 2 pinches salt, a few grinds black pepper, ghee and garlic in a food processor.
- Pulse grind the filling into a paste.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Remove 1/2 cup of filling paste to a bowl and stir in extra-virgin olive oil to loosen it.
- Reserve remaining filling in processor bowl.
- Place steaks between layers of waxed paper several inches apart.
- Pound steaks with a heavy bottomed pan to 1/2 their thickness.
- Season each steak with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cover each steak with a thin layer of filling.
- Roll steaks tightly and cut each steak in half crosswise.
- Secure pinwheels with a carefully placed skewer and set 6 pinwheels on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin oil and roast 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove skewers and transfer pinwheels to dinner plates.
- Top each with a generous portion of reserved sauce made from filling and extra-virgin olive oil, combined.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ready in: 25 minutes