- 6 - 8 ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- ground black pepper
- 1 sprig fresh basil leaves removed from stem and chopped fine
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes and set aside.
- Heat a small stockpot on medium and add the olive oil and onion.
- Cook the onion until translucent, about 10 minutes, then add the garlic cloves and continue caramelizing the onion for another 10 min.
- Add the tomatoes and bring just to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat and add the basil.
- Simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Puree with a hand blender until desired consistency.
- Adjust the seasoning.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 40 minutes