Making your own sausage allows you to choose the freshest ingredients available and to avoid the use of nitrates and refined ingredients.
- 1 pound pork or beef, ground
- 1/4 to 1 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp marjoram
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp coriander seed, ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 3 Tbs. Water
- 1 pound pork or 1/2 pork and 1/2 beef, ground
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf, finely crumbled
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds coarsely ground pork butt
- 3/4 pound finely ground beef
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 1/2 tsp crushed peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
To Make The Sausage Blend:
- Choose the sausage you want to make.
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the ground meat.
- Knead until thoroughly blended.
- Make into patties, a meatloaf or stuff into sausage casings by hand or with a sausage horn.
- Refrigerate in airtight containers for 2 or 3 days to allow flavors to blend.
To Cook The Sausage:
Loaf: Set loaf pan in another pan of hot water in oven. Bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer reaches 160°.
Patties: Fry until golden brown.
Rolls or links: Cover with water in fry pan. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain water and dry until golden brown.
Your sausage will only be good for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. If not using immediately, freeze for up to 2 months.