This is incredibly good on anything: chicken, vegetables, as a sandwich spread, or anything else you can think of.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs. dried basil
- 1 Tbs. dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbs. sweet paprika
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, roughly chopped or torn
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- Before assembling your ingredients, salt the eggplant and let it drain in a colander for 30 minutes, unless you are using young, fresh eggplant.
- Squeeze out any excess liquid and pat dry.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan and add the eggplant and onions.
- When the vegetables are soft, add the garlic, basil, oregano, cumin and paprika and cook for 5 minutes, or until the aromas are released.
- Remove from the heat, and add the roasted peppers.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Finish with the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.